Most likely you came across the free VLC Media Player when looking for a reliable video player. Your goal is to have a resource that is versatile enough to allow you play most if not all of your videos. Also, you are looking for a portable streamer that supports a variety of file formats, video codecs, streaming protocols, audio and much more. But, does VLC fit the bill?
VLC Media Player Review
Is The VLC Player Right For You?
A Brief look
This software is one of the popular media players (like KMPlayer) in the market right now. Formerly, VLC or VideoLAN Client was a simple academic project that was used by students at École Centrale Paris.
However, it later became an independent and multimedia and open source media that is offered free-of-charge. Currently going by the simple initials VLC, VLC Media Player is rated among the best multimedia frameworks.
- Independent: VLC Video Player is platform-independent and features several free libraries for encoding and decoding. A user is therefore not required to look for proprietary plugins for calibrating. The program is quite flexible and comes in several versions that include Microsoft Windows, GNU, Mac OS X, Linux, BSD, and BeOS.
- Versatile: Unlike other multimedia frameworks, VLC Media Player Free can still play videos whose content is damaged, incomplete, or unfinished. This comes handy when downloading files through programs such as Gnutella, eMule, BitTorrent, or any other. The player also plays m2tMPEG files when being digitized or streamed from a HDV camera. This makes it possible to view content when streaming.
- Compatible: A user can play, or download VLC Media Player from most of the Operating Systems (OS) in the market. It views and tunes into channels such as DVB-T, DVB-C, and DVB-S on majority of the platforms. The media player supports DMO (Direct Media Object) and will therefore work with most third-party DLLS.
- Region-free RPC-1 Player: When playing DVDs on drives featuring RPC-1 firmware, VLC ignores the DVD region. The player contains filters that modify, rotate, distort, mirror, or de-interlace content. It can also add a logo, create display walls, or generate output in form of ASCII art.
- Easy installation: Free VLC can run and install directly from another external drive or from a flash. A third-party program is not needed to install or download VLC media player. Also, Lua scripting language can be used to extend the program.
- The program will still work on a disk image even though the .iso images aren’t supported by the OS. VLC also supports AVCHD format (highly compressed content) that is used in latest HD camcorders.
Going by the above review, it is clear to see why VLC Media Player for Windows 7-10 remains a popular choice for many people.
It is versatile and supports many formats, its compatible with most OS, it’s an independent and open resource, and also VLC is available free-of-charge!