What is Google Maps? This service consists of several free applications and includes a map site and a route planning program (Google Transit). Google maps can be used to view many cities around the world from a satellite, as well as to view street and home maps in detail, to drive a car or other transport, to travel to different places, and so on.
Google Maps is displayed in two ways:
- A traditional map (analog of Mercator maps),
- and satellite (this map is not online, but was made some time ago).
The scale of the map is also based on the Mercator projection, i.e. it is constant and varies from pole to pole down.
Google Map is closely connected with another separate project of the corporation – Google Planet, which clearly shows the regions of the poles of the Earth. What places is the satellite map available for? Not for everyone, but only for large cities in the USA, Canada, Great Britain, and other countries.
Not all governments have approved the use of maps by satellites (since the placement of certain objects visible on maps may be used by terrorists to plan and conduct attacks). That is why many objects on the maps are shaded. Such “secret” objects include, for example, the White House or the Capitol.
Different places on satellite images are given in several resolutions – the smaller the settlement, the less detailed it is. Also, some places in photos may be hidden due to the shadow of the clouds. Not all images were taken from a satellite – most of them were obtained as a result of aerial photography from a height of 300 meters.
- The first version of Google Maps for mobile phones was released in 2006. A service similar to GPS is used to locate the phone.
- In 2008, Google Maps were developed for Android, Windows Mobile, Symbian, BlackBerry, Java (from 2+), iOS (Apple), Palm OS (Centro+).
- In 2011, the corporation announced that it provides mapping services to more than 150 million customers.