What is Google Maps? This service comprises several free applications and includes a map site and a route planning program (Google Transit). Google Maps can view many cities around the world from a satellite, and to view street and home maps, to drive a car or other transport, to travel to different places, and so on.
Special features of Google Maps
It displays Google Maps in two ways:
- A traditional map (analog of Mercator maps),
- and satellite (this map is not online, but was made some time ago).
It also bases the scale of the map on the Mercator projection, i.e., it is constant and varies from pole to pole down.
Google Maps is closely connected with another separate project of the corporation – Google Planet, which shows the regions of the poles of the Earth. What places is the satellite map available for? Not for everyone, but only for large cities in the USA, Canada, Great Britain, and other countries.
Not all governments have approved the use of maps by satellites (since placing particular objects visible on maps may be used by terrorists to plan and conduct attacks). That is why many objects on the maps are shaded. Such “secret” objects include, for example, the White House or the Capitol.
It gives different places in satellite images – the smaller the settlement, the less detailed it is. Also, some areas in photos may be hidden because of the shadow of the clouds. Not all images were taken from a satellite – it got most of them because of aerial photography from a height of 300 meters.
- The first version of Google Maps was released for mobile phones in 2006. A service similar to GPS is used to locate the phone.
- In 2008, it developed Google Maps for Android, Windows Mobile, Symbian, BlackBerry, Java (from 2+), iOS (Apple), Palm OS (Centro+).
- In 2011, the corporation announced that it would provide mapping services to over 150 million customers.